The children’s tent features activities that appeal to kids of all ages, from hilarious bol races to a treasure-filled sand pile. The SaskPower Windscape Kite Festival offers a variety of free activities to encourage all kids to join in the fun. At the information booth, families can pick up a Windscape Program which will provide details about wind specs, kiting safety tips, a schedule, and a map of the grounds. There will also be Passports available for children to collect the autographs of celebrity flyers and be entered to win a kite!
Free activities for children include:
- Candy Catapult: Kids flock to the middle of the field to collect candy that will be released from a catapult at scheduled periods throughout the day.
- Stunt Kite Flying Lessons: For those who have a stunt kite and aren’t quite sure how to fly it, lessons will be given on-site. The lessons are not only available to kids — adults who would like to try their hand at stunt-kiting are also welcome. Stunt kites are available for purchase at Windscape as well.
- Straw Bale Maze: A straw bale maze offers opportunities for kids to play, explore, and enjoy the fresh air.
- Art Workshop: Printmaking on Fabric – Stop by the Saskatchewan Cultural Exchange art van to learn about block printing on fabric, 12 to 4 pm Saturday & Sunday. Carve your own images, or use our pre-cut designs to decorate fabric and kites! This come and go workshop is for all ages. An adult must accompany children under 12.
- Windscape Walkabout is your essential guided tour of the kites at Windscape. Our experienced staff can teach you all about the different kinds of kites, how they’re made, and how they fly. A great kite also incorporates art with function — learn more about the background, inspiration, and meaning behind the designs. A lot of work goes into making a kite functional and artistic, and we’re excited to share that process with you! Windscape Walkabout happens once per day at 2 pm — tour groups meet at the Welcome Booth on the north end of the field.
- Windscape Passports and Programs are also free.
Lawrence Roy Jr. is a Metis hoop dancer who began dancing in 1989 at St. Mary’s Community School. He learned a new style in High School and combined the two styles – dancing with 30 hoops. Lawrence works with k-12 school and instructs hoop dancing at the Saskatoon Indian and Métis Friendship Centre.
For a small fee, kids can access many different activity stations. Windscape Bucks are sold at the Children’s Activities Area for $1 each, 12 for $10, or 25 for $20. These tokens can be used at the following activities:
- Flying Dragon Booth: Kids can choose from different styles of flying dragons to build, decorate and attempt to fly through hoops. This activity will be available all day on Saturday and Sunday. Agility and flight lengths can be tested after the dragons have been built. 1 token.
- Helium Balloons: Balloons of all colors will be available in the Children’s Activities Area. 1 token.
- Balloon Sculptures: Everyone can create a spectacular balloon masterpiece. Learn the basic sculpting techniques and build swords, princess crowns, animals, and balloon kites. 1 token for 1 to 2 balloons. 2 token for 3 or more balloons.
- Bubble Station: Kids are welcome to come and play at the bubble station and enjoy bubbles of all shapes and sizes. 1 token.
- Mystery Sandpile: Fully stocked with prizes for kids to find, the Mystery Sandpile is open all weekend long. Kids can dig in the pile until they find a prize. 1 token.
- ‘Running with the Bols’: This hilarious event has kids strap parachute-like kites on their backs and race against the wind. Races occur throughout the day. 1 token.
- Splatter Mural: Test your aim and create an explosion of colour with paint filled water guns! 1 token.
- Temporary Tattoos: Volunteers are on hand all weekend to apply press-on tattoos. Windscape offers a wide variety of designs. 1 token.
- Face Painting: Kids can get their faces painted as much or as little as they’d like. Volunteers will be painting faces all weekend. 3 tokens.
- Kite Workshop: Kids can create their very own colorful and easy-to-fly kites. There are also decorating supplies provided to add a personal touch to your kite. This activity will be available all weekend. 5 tokens.
- Main Stage Entertainment: At 11:00 am and 3:00 pm on Saturday, and 3:00 pm Sunday, the entire family can check out performances by a fabulous renowned children’s entertainer for 5 tokens each.
- Juggling Tent: Learn to juggle, spin plates, and balance beautiful peacock feathers with expert resident jugglers. 2 tokens each.
With a variety of activities to please kids of any age, Windscape offers a great weekend of family fun. For more information or to volunteer, contact Shann Gowan at 306.778.2686, email: email@example.com