Experience the thrill of flying in the wide-open Saskatchewan skies with some of the world’s best kite artists and performers.
The children’s tent features activities that appeal to kids of all ages; there is much to do outside as well, from hilarious bol races to a treasure-filled sand pile. The SaskPower Windscape Kite Festival offers a variety of free activities to encourage all kids to join in the fun. At the gate, families can pick up a Windscape Program which will provide a schedule, a map of the grounds, and lots of useful information.
Free activities for children include:
- Candy Catapult: Kids flock to the middle of the field to collect candy that will be released from a catapult at scheduled periods throughout the day.
- Stunt Kite Flying Lessons: For those who have a stunt kite and aren’t quite sure how to fly it, lessons will be given on-site. The lessons are not only available to kids — adults who would like to try their hand at stunt-kiting are also welcome. Stunt kites are available for purchase at Windscape as well.
- Straw Bale Maze: A straw bale maze offers opportunities for kids to play, explore, and enjoy the fresh air.
- Kite Talk is your essential guided tour of the kites at Windscape. Our experienced staff can teach you all about the different kinds of kites, how they’re made, and how they fly. A great kite also incorporates art with function — learn more about the background, inspiration, and meaning behind the designs. A lot of work goes into making a kite functional and artistic, and we’re excited to share that process with you! Kite Talk happens once per day and meets at the Welcome Booth on the north end of the field.
For a small fee, kids can access many different activity stations. Windscape Bucks are sold at the Children’s Activities Area for $1 each. These tokens can be used at the following activities:
- Flying Dragon Booth: Kids can choose from different styles of flying dragons to build, decorate and attempt to fly through hoops. This activity will be available all day on Saturday and Sunday. Agility and flight lengths can be tested after the dragons have been built. 3 tokens.
- Helium Balloons: Balloons of all colors will be available in the Children’s Tent. 1 token.
- Balloon Sculptures: Everyone can create a spectacular balloon masterpiece. Learn the basic sculpting techniques and build swords, princess crowns, animals, and balloon kites. 2 tokens for 1 to 2 balloons. 3 tokens for 3 or more balloons.
- Bubble Station: Kids are welcome to come and play at the bubble station and enjoy bubbles of all shapes and sizes. 2 tokens.
- Mystery Sandpile: Fully stocked with prizes for kids to find, the Mystery Sandpile is open all weekend long. Kids can dig in the pile until they find a prize. 2 tokens = 2 prizes.
- ‘Running with the Bols’: This hilarious event has kids strap parachute-like kites on their backs and race against the wind. Races occur throughout the day. 1 token.
- Splatter Mural: Test your aim and create an explosion of colour with paint filled water guns! 1 token.
- Temporary Tattoos: Volunteers are on hand all weekend to apply press-on tattoos. Windscape offers a wide variety of designs. 1 token.
- Face Painting: Kids can get their faces painted as much or as little as they’d like. Volunteers will be painting faces all weekend. 5 tokens.
- Kite Making Workshop: Kids can create their very own colorful and easy-to-fly kites. There are also decorating supplies provided to add a personal touch to your kite. This activity will be available all weekend. 5 tokens.
- Juggling Tent: Learn to juggle, spin plates, and balance beautiful peacock feathers with expert resident jugglers. 3 tokens each.
- Scavenger Hunt: Pick up a bag and list from the Welcome Booth and hunt down all sorts of stuff to win a great prize. 2 tokens.
With a variety of activities to please kids of any age, Windscape offers a great weekend of family fun.