David Gomberg knows where to find your smile. “Look around a kite festival”, he says. “Different kites, different countries, different cultures. But the one thing everyone has in common is that big Peter Pan grin spread across their face.”
Gomberg should know. Here are some highlights of his kite “career”.
- Ten time president of American Kitefliers Association, the world’s largest association of kite enthusiasts. (No other president served more than three times.)
- One of the most widely traveled kitefliers in the world. Visited over 35 nations including China, India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Middle East, South America, and much of Europe.
- Co-Organizer of the World Sport Kite Championships in Berck, France, the Millennium Kite Exhibition in London, EPCOT/Disney World Festival of Kites, and the World Sport Kite Masters Exhibition in Hokkaido Japan. His kites have also appeared in popular films.
- Flier of giant, inflatable animal kites (the size of a school bus, he says) and maneuverable sport kites which can be choreographed to music. Organizer of kite competitions, workshops, and demonstrations.
- One of the world’s most recognized and honored kiters. Presented with lifetime achievement awards by both the hobbiest’s association and the international kite industry trade group. Inducted into the Kite Hall of Fame in 2005.
- Owners of Gomberg Kite Productions, International, a kite product distributor, and event management partnership specializing in larger inflatibles, and uniquely designed kites made by artists from around the world. “GKPI” can be found online at www.GombergKites.com.
- Owner of the largest kite retail business on the West Coast – Northwest Winds – on the Oregon Coast.